Letter of Intent
If you are interested in applying for a grant from the Auen Foundation, please send a two page letter, along with a copy of your 501(c)(3) certificate, briefly describing what you do, what programs you offer, the amount of grant support you are seeking, and who the funding will impact. Please also send a list of your current board members and other funders. The foundation Grant Committee meets quarterly to evaluate requests for funding programs. If the initial review of your letter indicates a potential match for the Auen Foundation, we will request more information, such as a formal proposal, copy of your financials, and possibly a site visit.
To be considered for a grant, please complete the following grant application. There are two sections to this application. Each section must be completed separately and the total application should be kept to a combined maximum of 10 pages (excluding attachments).
Section One - Agency Background
- Contact Information
- Date of Submission
- Name of Organization
- Address, phone number, fax number, e-mail address
- Name and title of person submitting the application
- Agency History
- The mission of the organization
- Primary areas or focus
- Brief history of why the organization was founded
- How many people benefit from the organization's services per year?
- Agency Funding
- Budget summary, including revenue sources contributing to total revenues
- If the organization receives any federal, state, or local government funding, please complete the following:
Detail for each year of the last two years the percentage of agency budget (must add up to 100%) allocated for:
- Identify government entities supplying funding
- Amount received from each government entity during the past two years and its percentage of the budget
- Is it anticipated that such funding would continue?
How does the organization receive its financial support? (Explain fundraising activities, sources of revenues, special fund raising events, endowments, etc.)
List other Foundation support for this organization and related amounts?
How many employees, including staff are on the organization's payroll? List all employees' compensation in excess of $50,000 per year and corresponding compensation.
How do your Directors contribute to your organization? What portion of annual revenues that are contributed by members of the Board of Directors?
Are there any time requirements or other constraints placed upon the funds requested by the recipient? If so, please explain.
- Agency Administration (including: salaries, utilities, rent, etc.)
- Fundraising expenses
- Program Services
- How is the organization managed?
- How does the organization utilize volunteers?
- Documented results of organization's programs or projects?
- How did you learn about The Auen Foundation?
Section Two - Grant Request
*Please begin section two on a new sheet.
- Amount requested (The Foundation has no stated minimum or maximum grant amount, however the majority of our grants fall between $1,000 and $100,000).
- Describe in detail the proposed program and how the Foundation funds will be used.
- Explain who will be impacted by the programs.
- Explain the expected short and long-term benefits to the people impacted by the program funded by this request.
- Explain how this expected outcome will be measured and documented.
- Has the organization applied for a grant from The Auen Foundation in the past? If so, when? What was the amount?
- Provide IRS letter of determination
- Current annual budget
- Requested program budget, present and past (two years)
- Board of Directors
- Last two years audited financial statements (Audit report should include balance sheet and income and expense summary).
Completed Requests Should Be Submitted To:
- The Auen Foundation
- Post Office Box 13390
- Palm Desert, CA 92255-3390